Friday, March 6, 2009

Friendship

Is something that I've really had to look at recently in my own life. In life I've always been quick to call someone my friend, We might have a lot in common with them, we talk a few times maybe even hang out, but does this constitute a friendship? Is it one sided? or is it reciprocated. In my life I have called people my friend to only later find out they aren't really my friend but more of an acquaintance. For me I tend to be on the giving side when I meet someone I really like and treat them well and try to learn more about them. I can sit here now and count on one hand the people I can genuinely call my "Friends" I know they would go to the ends on the earth for me, I know that they would never judge me for decisions I make but agree to disagree and love me regardless. I wont lie I had to find out who my friends are the hard way. My heart has been hurt because I was let down after finding out I really wasn't as important to them as they were to me :( I know we all go through life and meet new people but friendship goes two ways, its a relationship that should be nurtured and treated with love and respect. I'm happy that at this stage in my life I have my friends pretty much established, But I know there is room in my heart and life for more. What is your definition of friends? Please feel free to share on here I would love to know what your expectations are as a friend, we all have them! Don't we? I guess my reason for doing this post is so that we all take a look at who our true friends are. Remind them that they really are special to us. I hope you have a good weekend I'm looking forward to getting together with an acquaintance for lunch tomorrow :) Who knows maybe we will become wonderful friends with time......

I am Thankful for some very select and wonderful people in my life!
Onemorebaby
Jackie M
Lavon
Denise
Manda
(edited after my hubby read this) My husband is my best friend! I was focused on girlfriends but lets humor him ....:)

WOW the list is shorter than I thought with that being said I have a pretty long list of Blogging buddies that I would love to meet someday! You all know who you are :)
Proverbs 17:17 "A Friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity"

8 comments:

Montana's mom said...

Well Tina I tend to agree with you here. I too think that a friend who is by your side ALWAYS! My definition of a friend is: A friend is someone you call to bail you out of jail a GOOD friend is one who is sitting next to you in jail saying wow that was fun!!! I can count my good friends on one hand. Though I hope someday that you can count me as a good friend for now I would say we are friends. Hope to change that soon!!

rosie posie said...

I'm right there with you, I have very few friends and I'm not sure why that is. I'm also giving and open, but kinda shy, so it's hard for me to make new friends. I too Hate it when a friend lets you down. Perhaps my expectations are a little high (even though I don't think so). For me a friend is someone you can call up when you're having a bad day and they actually LISTEN, and come running if need be to help you. All too often I'm there for them, but when needed there's always some excuse why they can't for me.

Hope you have a great weekend and lets hope it stops snowing.

Amanda said...

Tina, I know where you are coming from with this post. I feel a friend is someone you can just hang out with while you say nothing, and yet feel like you just had an in depth conversation. I know I have a few friends that would be there for me if needed. Cant wait to see you tomorrow, chica. =)

onemorebaby said...

(((hugs))) Love ya. And, btw... what? You get to meet with amanda? I am Jealous! (just kidding! Have a great time!) Hugs and love...

twondra said...

I totally agree with you. I have a lot of "acquaintances" but I can count the people on my hand who are true "friends". I hope some day I would be able to meet you....that would be amazing. :)

DaniKel said...

I am one that is not quick to claim someone as a friend. Too many people are superficial, and their friendship is only skin deep.

I too can count my true friends on one hand. Ones that I know I can count on to be there to share in my excitement and dreams, but also to be there to listen when I need to vent, to cry, or complain. And knows that I am there for her no matter what.

But also one that understands that I have 4 kids, and that if they just stop by, that my house may be a mess, and they will not judge me for that.

And they also understand that although we don't get together as often as we like, that we would like to get together often. And that the other is in our thoughts often.

That when something upsetting happens, that we know the other will be there in a heartbeat, no matter what time of day or night.

That when something exciting happens, that they will be our biggest cheerleader.

But a friend is also someone who understands that life keeps us busy. And that no matter whether it has been a day, a week, a month, or longer, that we know that the other is still there if/when needed.

I remember a poem that my Mom had on her fridge when I was little, and actually, she probably still does.

Some friends are like Autumn leaves
Found Every Where
True friends are like diamonds
Precious but rare

I think this is very true. We all have work friends, church friends, etc., but only have a few that we consider 'true' friends.

Boy, I have REALLY rambled on! ;-)

C said...

Tina, you KNOW I would love to meet you....you are certainly on list. :) Evaluating friendships is a very interesting topic. I going to think a little & then post again...I am nerdy like that.

Shauna said...

Friendship is the BEST! I am looking forward to getting to know you better! Hope you are having a great Monday! ♥ Hugs :)